Staffordshireamdram.co.uk Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Staffordshireamdram.co.uk Forum

The Staffordshireamdram Theatre Discussion Board

To SiteTo Site  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Compilation musicals

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ianb

ianb

Compilation musicals Empty
PostSubject: Compilation musicals   Compilation musicals EmptySun May 18, 2008 10:23 am

Tom wrote:
Taken from The Sentinel 09/04/2008

Before Oklahoma!, musicals strung unrelated songs together with a flimsy plot.

Tom, your Oklahoma review made me think we're going full circle, personally I hate the trend for new musicals like the Take that musical or even Mama Mia that just take a handful of pop songs and string them together to make a 'musical'. I like songs that carry the story and are part of the thread, rather than just, 'Oh it's time we had a song here'
What do you think?
Back to top Go down
Tom
Admin
Admin
Tom

Compilation musicals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compilation musicals   Compilation musicals EmptyFri May 23, 2008 5:45 pm

ianb wrote:
Tom wrote:
Taken from The Sentinel 09/04/2008

Before Oklahoma!, musicals strung unrelated songs together with a flimsy plot.

Tom, your Oklahoma review made me think we're going full circle, personally I hate the trend for new musicals like the Take that musical or even Mama Mia that just take a handful of pop songs and string them together to make a 'musical'. I like songs that carry the story and are part of the thread, rather than just, 'Oh it's time we had a song here'
What do you think?

I think the important thing to remember is the show selection is important, many classic musicals of old arn't performed regulary. Some for good reason!! However the same applies today as did many years ago. Many shows are written poorley and as you point out with awfull songs. On the other hand there are many new-ish shows such as Parade, Little Women, The Producers and many more that we can easily hum a lyrical tune.

For me there are two main issues. In today's climate bums on seats and money are all important to local groups and i feel sometimes shows such as We Will Rock You and Boogie Nights will be at the top of the choice list due to the money making lure.

For me the second is that i can't see may local groups performing sondheim, G&S or ever shows as Titanic or The Scarlet Pimperell.

Are we to be the bridge between Oklahoma, Carousel, My Fair Lady and Fame, Little Shop Of Horrors and others.

p.s - On a defensive note. I worked Mama-Mia in London for 6 months and i'll tell you now it was the most invigorating 6 months of my life. Still, i know what you meen

Open for debate!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.staffordshireamdram.co.uk

Compilation musicals
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Staffordshireamdram.co.uk Forum :: The Local Stage :: General Talk & Questions-
Jump to: